Tuesday, March 12, 2019

So you want to see a Barred Owl

Get out in the woods!  I've seen 4 the last week.

First one was in the pine stand at Sarett where the trees are looking a little too tall and open to provide a haven for Long-eared's.  I can't really take credit for finding this one; the crows noticed it first.

One was in a pure deciduous 2nd growth woodland.

But the other two were in pinestands as well.  This sleepy bird was a walkaway view.

I'm sure I'm mostly getting lucky, but March is the time of year when I see Pileated Woodpeckers just flying around in a lot of random places when I'm driving; I assume these are 1 year old birds looking for breeding territories and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Barred's are doing the same thing.

Another March activity?  Checking goose flocks for birds that aren't like the others.
I don't know that I've ever seen a Sandhill Crane flying in a goose formation, but there's a first for everything.

No comments: