Sunday, June 9, 2019

the Quetzal's cousin

A Collared Trogon!
Trogons were pretty common at San Isidro and this pair was pretty tame, teed up along the trails between the cabins and the cafe

Bluish Flowerpiercer was also a (somewhat random) common species as well.

As I mentioned in the last post we did fairly well with flycatchers on our morning walk, but photos were hard to come by.  I was pretty pleased to see this Flavescent Flycatcher at fairly close range since it has a couple of similar species which I'd spent some time studying pre-trip.  It's always rewarding when studying pays off.

A (considerably easier to identify) Cinnamon Flycatcher was on the other side of the road.

Finally a couple non-birds, first another of the glasswing butterflies

And finally the only snake we saw on the trip
It was about the size of an earthworm.  I'll reach out and see if I can get lead on its name... (Josh V???)

No comments: