Sunday, June 14, 2020

best Least Bittern pics ever

I've walked or biked a little over 100 miles in the last 3 weeks looking for Blue Grosbeak.  No luck.  Today was a golf course survey and I walked a little over 3 miles.  I've noticed that people chasing the Bell's Vireo have sporadically been reporting Least Bittern.  It was looking like the highlight of the walk would be some combo of Willow Flycatchers or the Green Herons that were just everywhere, but a different climax was in store.  I was expecting this bird to be just another Green Heron, but something was a little off...

A Least Bittern was standing gob smack in the open in bright early morning light.

The breast patterning was very interesting, and I don't know that the pic does it justice.  The suffuse brown breast streaks were highlighted by some dark brown central feather shafts in a pattern that I don't think I've really encountered before.

Sadly I think my hair is looking a lot like the bittern's in this next pic.  Hopefully barbershops re-open soon...


One last look at the beautifully backlit bill...

No comments: