Saturday, April 9, 2016

the Monkey Hawk

I've been away for a while, more on that later, but for now the last (?) Panama post.

Our last evening of birding was on a side road off of or on the way from Achiote Rd.  I was hoping for one last bird (I think this was the first day that I've birded the whole day in the neotropics and not gotten a lifer), but even without new birds there was always opportunities to learn the ones we'd seen better.

 I don't think I ever noticed the little red band at the base of the yellow breast on the Keel-billed Toucans in life that shows up in this pic.

We saw a few last Howler Monkeys, this group had a baby.

A few White-chinned Capuchins made their appearance too.  They're smaller than the Howlers, but tend to be more active, shaking the vegetation (clearing out potentially dangerous dead limbs maybe?) and generally raising a commotion.



They had another observer, a young Double-toothed Kite
Note the fairly unique dark throat stripe; I can't think of any other birds that have this mark.
Double-toothed's apparently like to follow monkey bands in order to capture the insects they startle; this was the second time on the trip that at least some participants encountered the kite associating with the capuchins.

Another Black-breasted Puffbird appeared.


Finally a montage of an Aracari.

Frequently they move in groups, the first 2 got by me without pics, but the final bird made a decent montage.

No comments: