Saturday, June 20, 2015

Lark Bunting and more

Rick Brigham located a Lark Bunting in some of the Allegan SGA grasslands.  It was a while before a hole opened in my schedule to allow a person to go, but the bird was still there this morning.  It didn't give good views, but would pop up for a second or so in song flight giving a song vaguely on a bobolink's pitch but without the complicated burbling.  It may have been doing some buzzy trill intro stuff but was a little too far to say for sure.  I only managed one sharp heavily cropped pic of my first statebird of the year.

Dickcissels were a lot more common, and some were quite close to the road.

I spent some time digi-scoping this bird.


Grasshopper sparrows were also much more common in some of the fields than they are in Berrien.  I could have digi-scoped this one but left the scope in the car as we walked some of the fields.


It's not super close, but you can't argue with the prairie background.

No comments: