Monday, April 19, 2010

Ruby-crowned's have ruby crowns

Early passerine migration continues. Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher are the dominant species (though some of the gnatcatchers are probably working on territories).

This Ruby-crowned wasn't singing, but the hormones were going enough that it was showing off its crown consistently. I don't think I was ever able to digi-scope a kinglet without major blurring.


A Parula had returned to Kesling, probably one of the first to return to Michigan this year. I've digiscoped it twice before.

Ditto for Blue-gray gnatcatcher...

I've been seeing chocolate butterflies flashing red for the last week, but today was the first time one landed, a red admiral. They were abundant 3 years ago, but hard to find the last 2 (at least to a casual-at-best butterfly observer like me).





No comments: