Friday, June 9, 2017

Munuscong LeConte's

It's been a few years since I've had LeConte's Sparrow in Berrien so I stopped by a State Game Area (?) in the Munuscong area in the Eastern UP with LeConte's on territory.  Their song was even higher and buzzier than a Grasshopper's; this was my first time hearing them.

 From a subtle native sparrow to a garish weaver, Eurasian Tree Sparrow, that has become fairly regular at Whitefish over the last few years.  Here are 2 (of what apparently were 4) birds.

I spent more time looking at the Pine Siskins frequenting the feeders.

Red Crossbills never quite seem real to me.  They're very difficult to find in the Southern UP and always come as a surprise.  Apparently they bred in decent numbers in the UP this spring.


One last shot from the UP, sadly no bird is hidden away (though redstarts and Black-throated Greens were singing away above the lady-slippers)

No comments: