Friday, May 4, 2018

Brewster's Warbler

After finding Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers just teeming at some of the lakeside parks there was hope that Floral would be hopping ... not so much.  Birds were coming in ones and twos when I noticed another birder (Ken Bishop) looking with interest at the LCD on his camera.  He saw me and walked up with an intensely curious expression on his face and purpose in his stride.  I was quite intrigued to see what would be on the LCD ... a Brewster's Warbler.  Having never seen one I was most definitely excited.  It was re-found about a minute later.



From above it looked pretty identical to a Golden-winged and would be easy to overlook if you didn't see the face.

The Blue-winged pattern comes out while looking up at it. 

I doubt there's many Brewster's flight shots out there.

Surprisingly I've seen 3 or 4 Lawrence's (most recently last year at Chikaming), the F2 backcross between Brewster's and one of the parents, but never the F1 hybrid.

More warblers, these ones from earlier at Lincoln Twp Beach.


I went back to Floral in the afternoon, there were a ton of silent Ovenbirds.

It's been a really good spring for Orange-crowned, this one was from Tiscornia.

Finally a couple shots of spring migrants with the Marsh Marigolds that are currently in peak bloom.
 

No comments: