Friday, May 20, 2016

Red, White, and ... black

Had a mini-theme with a bunch of red white and black birds back to back a few days ago.  I don't take as many pics of the common birds as I should, but this Red-bellied posed nicely.

I had a Red-headed Woodpecker a hundred yards farther down the trail, but it was also a lot farther away.

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are super prominent now as they set up territories.
 The males will chase each other around in full song.

I'm cheating a little with the next photo, it's not from this year, but fits the theme.
 
I actually haven't had a ton of luck photographing migrants this spring, this Swainson's Thrush was an exception when it posed reasonably.


Magnolia remains the only one warbler that's been semi-cooperative as well.

Finally the most interesting pic from a rather forgettable Birdathon, a day-roosting nighthawk that one of the other groups spied perched about 30 feet above the trail.

No comments: