Monday, May 13, 2013

Parula in a Redbud

The weather this year has been ideal for the flowering trees, no hard frosts and cool for the last week keeping the flowers fresh, and I've been studying them fairly closely looking for subjects teed up in a sea of pink.  Until today my best had been robins and house sparrows.

A Parula however was defining its territory at Kesling, this was the closest I've ever been to a male.
The sun was pretty high so the flowers are blown out a little bit, but I really can't complain.
It dropped pretty low, presumably after insects.

We didn't have tons of warblers, but I did get my first Golden-winged, Baybreast, and Blackburnian of the year.

Veeries were the theme at Floral in the morning.  Some of them were very confiding.

Finally a Clay-colored Sparrow we heard at Chikaming that popped up right next to the car.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Matt,
You are right, I just gasped when I saw those Parula pics! Nice!

Dixie

cnmckelvy said...

Beautiful photographs. I enjoy perusing your blog. Charley McKelvy