Friday, April 3, 2009

Post #100 ...

... will be sadly lacking in birds.

It's hard to belive I've written a hundred of these posts. I've used up all of 2% of my space on blogspot, so I'm hopefully good to go for the next 50 years!

The weather was not very cooperative this morning. I spent a little bit of time at Tiscornia facing into 25mph winds coming off the lake which wasn't very productive. A few small groups of RB mergansers and long-tailed ducks flew by, along with a couple common and a red-throated loon. I tried to work on my collection of herring gull images (many are in confusingly faded plumage) but the wind made it impossible. After glassing various empty fields not finding the windblown Smith's longspur that surely must be out there I noticed this little bird snorkeling in a retention pond as I buzzed by at 50mph.
The photo's terrible, but I'm pretty sure it's the only horned grebe that's ever been photographed in Royalton Twp. I'll have to ask Jon if he's ever had one in the township at all...

In the afternoon the sun came out briefly and I spent some time with the Dutchman's breeches backlit, but at least relatively sheltered from the wind.







No comments: