Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sweet screech pics ...

... would unfortunately be an April Fool's tease. I spotted a gray phase screech owl sunning itself in the box I have in the backyard from the kitchen window. Unfortunately it dropped back in as soon as I walked out the back door so no pics.

The Dutchman's breetches,however, are just starting to come out...

As is the bloodroot...
I looked for hepatica, which is always past its peak by the time I find it, without success.

It was somewhat windy out, but the river bottom was fairly sheltered and more active than I would have expected for late afternoon. Hermit thrush, golden-crowned kinglet, brown creeper, rufous-sided towhees, and phoebes were all present.

Fox sparrows continue to be fairly common in a couple of thickets, but don't come out very far even when singing. This one was doing their typical heel-kick feeding.




No comments: