Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Chickaming Henslow's

Rhoda found Henslow's Sparrows at Chikaming Twp park a few days ago.  The rain let up in south county before it did in the north this morning so I went there first. 

I found one, hopefully the others were just quiet from the rain.  Digi-scoping led to much better pics than the SLR would have managed.  Nothing like 200x when you include cropping.

I bet it's been 3-4 years since I've seen one.  I'd forgotten how much fine streaking they have on the breast.


 It would start out low and then slowly hooch its way up the perch singing periodically.


This last pic would have been a lot sharper had I been able to shoot at more than 1/60th of a second.  I played with a bunch of settings when I got home; hopefully I'll be able to shoot faster next time. 
 
There's no fix though for the shutter delay.  I get used to being able to push the shutter and immediately shoot.  This is the only one where I caught it with the head back.

3 comments:

Jerry Jourdan said...

Wonderful photos, Matt! Congrats!

Cathy Carroll said...

I agree with Jerry. Super nice photos Matt.

Cathy Carroll said...

I agree with Jerry. Super nice photos Matt.