Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Ann Arbor Spoonbill

Heavily birded Washtenaw County has done will with rarities, with a redshank a year or so ago and now another first state record in Roseate Spoonbill.  

I made it there on about day 3 of its week and a half long stay.  The bird was out of sight when I arrived, but after a while a Great Blue took off and flew back to the back corner of the marsh, and less than a minute later the spoonbill flew out.  It landed distantly, then flew much closer and proceeded to feed.




I'm not sure I've ever seen one feed at close range.  The base of the bill was a lot more square than I remembered and the bird would bob its head somewhat as it swung its neck back and forth while working its bill to filter the water.  

With the two hour drive ahead of me that I wanted to finish before darks I didn't wait to see how long it would stay and found myself walking away from a simply crazy bird.

No comments: