Saturday, April 16, 2011

it must be spring ...

I write as it was practically snowing on the way home from work this evening. I did finally get over for the wagtail a day ago, a really lousy digi-scoped video grab is at the end, until then it's the expected migrants and flora of mid-April... I caught this kinglet as it reached for a tiny insect presumably, though for all I know it's searching for tree plankton. This Fox Sparrow is from Tiscornia
There was a Hermit Thrush on the sidewalk as I walked into the house tonight. This one's from Floral though.
The requisite shots of some of my favorite spring wildflowers, bloodroot,
Trout lily,
and Dutchman's Breetches

Finally the Wagtail. Tim got a flight shot that I think is pretty supportive of it being an alba White Wagtail, rather than the lugens Black-backed subspecies, based on the flight drawings in Sibley, but I could be wrong. My pic, on the other hand, is only about half a step past the I-guess-that's-not-a-Gray-Jay level of identification.

No comments: